Our approach to environmental, social, and governance (ESG)
In relation to industry initiatives, our approach to ESG places a large amount of value on understanding best practices and contributing our expertise to developing evolving standards around ESG. We are developing close partnerships with leading industry associations, disclosures and standards bodies, and non-profit organizations to help lead and drive the latest approaches to the integration of ESG in financial strategies and processes. These include:
- Principles for Responsible Investment: Through Wells Capital Management (WellsCap), we are a signatory to the United Nations-supported Principles for Responsible Investment (PRI) and have committed to implementing six Principles related to ESG integration. We are represented on the Fixed Income Advisory Committee and work with the PRI to bring together industry professionals to learn from the latest industry trends.
- Sustainability Accounting Standards Board: At the Sustainability Accounting Standards Board (SASB), an organization dedicated to standardizing disclosure of material, industry-specific sustainability information, we are represented on the Standards Board, the Investor Advisory Group, and the Standards Advisory Group. Wells Fargo Asset Management is also a member of the SASB Alliance.
- Japan's Stewardship Code: WellsCap has been a signatory to Japan's Stewardship Code since February 2017. Also known as Principles for Responsible Institutional Investors, the goal of the code is to promote sustainable growth of companies through investment and dialogue.
- Ceres: We are Investor Network Members at Ceres, a sustainability nonprofit working with influential investors and companies to tackle the world's biggest sustainability challenges, including climate change, water scarcity and pollution, and human rights abuses.
- CDP: We are investor signatories to CDP (formerly known as the Carbon Disclosure Project), which runs a global disclosure system and has built the most comprehensive collection of self-reported environmental data in the world.